Resurgence and DARAJA enjoyed high profile visibility at the UN Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (GPDRR) 2022 in Bali, Indonesia, and at the two day Multi-Hazard Early Warning Conference (MHEWC-III) that preceded it.
Key events that Resurgence CEO, Mark Harvey, participated in and was supported remotely by colleague, Dr. Nuha Eltinay included:
- A panel on Innovation and the Future of Early Warning Systems convened by The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and Tonkin + Taylor;
- A poster event on effective early warning systems that featured the DARAJA City-Community Forecasting and Early Warning Service;
- A Climate Risk and Early Warning Systems (CREWS) Learning Café;
- An Ignite Presentation on DARAJA at the Ignite Stage on the opening morning of the Global Platform.
“It’s inspiring to see the new ambition applied to the early warning sector in Bali under the convening of WMO and CREWS,” says Mark Harvey, “In Bali we’ve had a lot of interest in the DARAJA model which inverts many traditional approaches to early warning, whilst always respecting the underlying science beyond hazard assessment and, of course, the modelling that delivers the meteorology.”
In Bali, Resurgence presented three key recommendations to feed into the MHEWC outcomes document:
- Expand definition of innovation beyond science / technology into innovation in governance, product and service co-design and communication;
- Elevate the data category of user data related to: access, understanding, trust, action on early warnings;
- Invest in developing business models (financial) for avoided damage and loss for scaling.
To access the DARAJA innovation slides presented, please contact email@example.com
The recent Multi-Hazard Early Warning III (MHEWC-III) Conference and Global Platform on Disaster Risk Reduction (GPDRR) took place in Bali, Indonesia during 23-28 May 2022.
The event featured a variety of sessions, that Resurgence took part in, including a submission to the Poster presentation, speaker Panel at the Innovation and next generation forecasting for early warnings, and an invite to present the UK Aid WISER DARAJA service and partnership at the Ignite Stage.
Interviewed by one of the largest Broadcasters in the world, Doordarshan, India
Resurgence CEO Mark Harvey, below, with award winning broadcaster, Anoop Khajuria, talking about issues underpinning our DARAJA service and partnership at the MHEWC-III, Bali.